The true expert for the winter
For compact- and middle-class, sporty cars and MPVs.
Safe and confident through the next winter
- Born in the USA, General Tire offers products for all types of vehicles, for all seasons and all terrains
- Optimum winter traction and cornering stability in snow and ice
- Fits perfectly for example to Opel Corsa, BMW 3 Series and VW Touran
General Tire has been developing tires for almost 100 years. All of this experience, precisely aligned to the winter road conditions, has been optimally combined to create the new Altimax Winter plus. ‘Zig-zag’ ribs for optimum winter traction and cornering stability in snow and ice. Wide longitudinal and lateral grooves reduce the risk of aquaplaning and provide traction. Robust tire compound guarantees high mileage. An all-round success and excellent choice for anyone who wants to safely survive the winter in their car!
Technical High lights:
‘Zig-zag’ ribs for optimum winter traction and cornering stability in snow and ice.
- Feature: ‘Zig-zag’ groove in the centre of the tire
- Effect: The ‘zig-zag’ tread keeps the snow in the groove, providing an optimum interaction between the snow in the groove and the snow on the road
- Benefits: Optimum winter traction, cornering stability in snow and ice
- Feature: High number of ‘zig-zag’ sipes at different angles
- Effect: Biting edges dispel slush and snow in all directions
- Benefits: Optimum traction and directional control on winter roads, Wide longitudinal and lateral grooves reduce the risk of aquaplaning and provide traction
- Feature: Wide longitudinal and lateral grooves
- Effect: Rapid water dispersion from the centre of the tread to the side shoulder
- Benefit: Reduced risk of aquaplaning
- Feature:Tapered edge surfaces
- Effect: Reduced water pressure in the contact area
- Benefits: Greater traction and cornering stability
EU Tyre Label and Efficiency Classes
The European Union, under CE 1222/2009, has mandated that all tyres manufactured after the date of July 1 2012 for cars and commercial vehicles include standard EU Tyre Labels classifying them by three performance characteristics:fuel efficiency classified from A to G,wet grip classified from A to G, and noise emission in decibels.
Categories of tyres unaffected by this regulation include: retreaded tyres, professional off-road tyres, racing/sports car tyres, as well as certain types of tyres designed to improve traction such as studded tyres, T-type temporary spare tyres, tyres for cars built before 1990, tyres with a maximum allowed speed of 80km/h, tyres for rims with a diameter less or equal to 254 mm or greater or equal to 635 mm.
This label is intended on one hand to promote economic and ecological efficiency in traffic, as well as increase road safety, and on the other hand to help consumers select appropriate tyres by ensuring a certain degree of product transparency.
Nevertheless, the label has been criticized for only showing a very limited number of characteristics. Professionals argue that tyres have many more features that are important and relevant to road safety, including but not limited to aquaplaning properties, driving stability, service life, product properties on wet and dry roads other than wet grip, properties on snow.
Tyre manufacturers suggest that the test results from various institutions and industry magazines should remain a very important source of information for the end consumer, because they focus on and rate a wide variety of tyre properties and features.